A Thrill of Hope, the Weary Soul Rejoices

by - 12:51 AM

IMG_0855
Greetings in love from Thailand!  Like many of you, the holiday season for us has begun with a sprint of activity and rarely lets up.  But these past weeks have been so full of good things, we feel a weary joy.  As we rush about our daily activities which seem to pile up and blend together, we begin to long for rest again.  And for us, it is in those moments of rest, that reflection most often comes.  Part of the way I (Matt) am wired is to think ahead.  It is easier for me to find vision than it is for me to reflect on the past.  That has its advantages and disadvantages.  One of the disadvantages is that I often forget to marvel at what has been done in my excitement for what may be done.  This past Sunday was a gentle reminder to remember what God has done this past year.  We welcomed the newly installed pastor of our international church here in Chiang Mai---Dave Pound (aka: Dad) not to mention his underpaid, but equally valuable partner in ministry (Mom).  It still makes me smile and shake my head.  Who saw that coming when we departed for Thailand last January?  Christmas by its nature urges us to remember, to look back and marvel.  God came to rescue His world.   I have been laboring lately to express more fully all that means to our friends here.  It is a special joy, and an solemn responsibility to build good foundations at new beginnings.  Please pray for us as we seek to share the the Person who is our gospel: Jesus!
IMG_1063IMG_1239
Sometimes even I find myself at a loss for words (an uncommon occurrence---just ask Audrey).  This past week, our house parents organized our annual mission trip.  This year we were working with a local school about 30 minutes from our office.  We hosted a morning of activities for the kids ranging from special music to the creation story, to games and English lessons.  The day ended with our orphan children passing gifts to all of the children.  It was a powerful moment for our kids to not be the ones receiving, but giving.  I think it was empowering for them and brought several of us near tears.  Truly it is more blessed (more happy) to give than to receive.  I love that God allows us the blessing of both; receiving and giving.  We all have needs and we all have things to share, best of all ourselves.  The next day we returned to clean classrooms, landscape, and even got in a rowdy game of football (soccer).  We put all our guests to work (they wouldn’t have had it any other way—has anyone ever been able to stop my Mom from helping?) 
IMG_1124IMG_1261IMG_1232IMG_1176
I was asked to share some of the Christian story at our outreach.  After some inquiries with our Thai Christian friends, and some help from Pastor Nate on communicating with children, I decided to start with the Creation story.  I asked the children if they knew who God was.  They thought He was like the King of Thailand.  “Yes,” I answered, “He is a King, but He is the One who made everything that is and He loves you very much.”  106 children sat in the shadow of the Buddist temple next door to hear (many for the first time) about the God who loves them.  It was a powerful moment for me to begin sharing Him whom I love with these beautiful children.  I want to take this moment to apologize to all my Sunday School teachers.  I am assuming from the looks my Mom was giving me, that I was a lot like these little boys: ninja kicking each other during the motions to the love song and wrestling during any pause in the message.  Thank you to all of you who endured me and little boys like me with love and patience! 
IMG_0817IMG_0881
I was also asked to preach at a local Thai church by our friend and co-worker.  It was a special day to have two Pounds preaching in Chiang Mai on the same Sunday.   It is a special joy to hear my Dad preaching again, not just with words, but with his life, the bold courage he and my Mom demonstrated in coming here.  That is perhaps a more powerful sermon than any I have ever heard him preach with words.  I am so proud of them both.  Every joy we experience here makes us thank God for all of you.  Thank you for your support, prayers, and encouragement!  May hope rise in us, as we remember Jesus coming, the Savior of the World!  May our weary souls rejoice to find rest with Him this Christmas season.   Audrey and I will be in the U.S. for Christmas before returning to our home in Thailand.  We would love to see you!  We are planning to be in Colorado December 15th-January 5th, Mansfield January 10th-12th, and in Minneapolis the 12th-16th.  
IMG_1507IMG_1270
Love in hope,
Matt & Audrey

You May Also Like

0 comments