The Correct Use of Power

by - 10:44 PM

Ajan Yay and I checking out some farm land for sale

Ever wonder what you would do if you had a million dollars?  

Or if you were the President of the United States?

Well you don't need to wonder, at least according to Jesus. He taught that we can all tell what someone would do with much by how they use what they already have.    

How we use what we value (the power we have) reveals our hearts. Where you treasure is, there your heart is also.  The title of this blog comes from my brother Jay when he spoke at our international church here in Chiang Mai.

The Pound Clan in Chiang Mai (Audrey as photographer)
Some of my favorite little Kong's!
He was talking about power. There is an old saying that money is power. There is some truth to that, though it is not the only kind of power.

Most of us don't think a lot about power or what it is for.  I cannot remember anyone ever asking me,

"Hey Matt, how much power do you have?"

But we all possess some power, in varying degrees. We all possess resources, intelligence, skills, and time. The question my brother was asking is:

How do you and I use the power (resources, intelligence, skills, and time) that we each have?


Faithful Heart put on a retreat for local Thai pastors
Honored to serve these brothers!

The Garden crew was on top of the watering!
 It is an uncomfortable question, for it reveals something true about me that I may not like.

Most of the power I have, I use for my own advantage. While that may be very common, it is also very selfish, and no less so because many people do the same.

If I look at where most of my money, time, and even thoughts go, it is largely for something I want or enjoy.  I use my power for personal gain.

But is that the right use of power?

What Jesus was teaching, and my brother pushing us to consider, was:

 What is the correct use of power?

The answer to that question is a radical one:

The correct use of power is service.

Game night to meet the other Pounds

Our Girls at Volleyball

This is against virtually every culture I have ever come across.  

Even those who try to follow Jesus cannot bring themselves to believe and practice this.  

Jesus taught that in God's opinion, the greatest people in the world are those who willingly choose to be the servants of others.

That is in blatant contradiction to everything we know.  

Just think about it for a minute.

Who is greater? The rich man or the poor man? (Who is more likely to be a church deacon?)

Who is greater, the one who can compel others to serve him, or the one who serves?

Who do you count as blessed---the man who has money in the bank or the man who has spent his in service others?

We just can't believe Jesus.  

Power is for having our own way.  It is for shaping the world after our own ideas and desires.

   What we cannot accept, will not accept, is that power is for serving others.  

That is the correct use of those resources, intelligence, skills, and time we each possess.

Ping Pong bringing people together part 1

Ping Pong bringing people together part 2---Jay running the tables


We hear what Jesus says, and it is beautiful and powerful ---maybe a good quote for Pinterest with a nice sunset in the background.  

But we just can't bring ourselves to do it.  

It feels too much like a loss--like letting people walk on us and take us for granted.  And it is.  Everything else we know says: aim for my ease, aim for my personal security, aim for how others can help me.  

And it is risky.

Won't we be miserable?  No one wants to be a servant.  And besides, isn't the whole point of having power, being able to enjoy it?

The greatest Being that exists, with the power to create planets and stars and oceans, took a towel, wrapped it around his waist, and washed the dirty feet of 12 middle eastern men.

That is greatness.

Some of my favorite little ninjas!

Audrey, Ezra, and Power Pandas
What power do you and I have?  

Money?  Time?  Skills?  Talents?

 How are we using it?  

To serve ourselves, our desires, our goals, to advance our career, secure our retirement?  

Or, to serve others?  

What do you believe about greatness?  Does your life prove it, or contradict it?  

Let's be great!  And go lay down our lives in service to others.  

It is there, in that most unlikely of places and postures, that we discover life.  

Scooter girl #1


Scooter girl #2

Two joys in my life!

Elephant jungle adventure

The Pounds in Thailand!

We loved having my brother Jay, his wife Heidi and our two nieces Liesl and Evie, come all the way to Thailand for a visit!  It was so much fun sharing our life here with them.  Thank you all for your prayers and support.  Please continue to pray for us and for Faithful Heart.  We are excited about this coming year, it is a joy and blessing to partner with you on this journey.  

May you not grow weary of doing good, and may you become great in the service of others!  

Love,

 Matt, Audrey, and "fuzzy" Ez

You May Also Like

0 comments