Struggle Breeds New Strength

by - 4:02 AM

Always on the move and almost ONE!

Airplanes from Aunt Pam and Uncle Chuck were a big hit!

Cute guy for delivery!

I try to work out 4 times each week.  It was a New Years Resolution I have stuck with for almost 2 years.

I like to follow a plan.  My plan right now is called: "Breaking New Muscle."

It has made me think about how I grow in other areas of my life too.

A new job often has a steep learning curve and taking over as the director at Faithful Heart has been no different for me.

There have been so many things I have had to learn or relearn.  And there are still many I am learning.

Learning new things is a lot like building new muscle.

Some sweet folks brought us treasures from the US!

Game time!

My Dad always says the view is different from the top.  What he meant was that when the decision wasn't your responsibility, it always seems clearer.  But when you are in the hot seat, it is not always so clear or easy.

It makes me grateful for another wise man in my life, Dave Callahan, who bore that burden for many years before it passed to me.

My workout routine got me thinking about the rest of my life.

I am more convinced than ever that all of our life is a connected whole.

Our physical life, our mental life, our spiritual life---there is only one---the life you have right now.

I don't expect to get stronger without working harder.  I increase the number of reps I do or I increase the weight I lift.

You have to break new muscle.
Why should the other areas of our life be any different?

Eating together

Poom is such a sweet boy.  We are so glad he is part of our Faithful Heart Family!

How will I get better at decision making?
I will have to make more, and more difficult decisions.

How will I get better at leading?
I will have to face more and more difficult challenges.

How will I get better at building up others?
I will have to spend more time investing in those people.

The struggles we face in our life must increase if our strength is to increase.
There is simply no other way to become more resilient, more persistent, and more effective.

So while I groan when the struggles come, a part of me also gets excited.
Here is my chance, here is my opportunity to grow better.


Big brothers

Big Hippos


There is a story in the Bible about a man who was the youngest of several brothers.  He belongs to a prosperous family, but gets kidnapped and sold as a slave. Then he is falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit and thrown in prison.

He stays there for years.

I don't know about you, but if my problems lasted years, I would be really frustrated.

In a sudden reversal, he is released and put in a position of leadership in the government.
But his problems aren't ending, they are only growing bigger. 
The whole country faces a serious famine.

He doesn't panic.  He plans ahead and puts people to work.  Through his vision and foresight, and wisdom, thousands of lives are saved.

The struggles he faced made him strong to face larger struggles later.

Sweet friends came with us to the gardens!
Ice Carving in tropical Thailand?  Yes!
Look at all this stuff that was just sitting in the cupboard!

In our lives nothing is wasted.

I am not wise enough to explain if everything happens for a reason (there is so much that should not happen but for evil people and evil intentions).

But I am confident that everything that has happened to us can be brought to serve some good purpose.

Our struggles in Thailand recently are not anything to compare to what many have endured.

But every struggle, great or small, has that potential to breed new strength in us.

Ladies got free facials!

Just Ezra and Mom having fun

Our family has battled sickness for two weeks and are finally getting better.

At Faithful Heart, we want to thank all of you who have responded and decided to sponsor a child!  We still need some new monthly sponsors.

If you can't help right now, do you know someone who would be interested?  We are making progress, and that is a big encouragement.

I turned 34 on October 3!  It's hard to believe.  Thank you to all of you for the birthday wishes and love.  It makes me so happy to have so many wonderful friends and family in my life.

Sienna will turn 1 on October 27th.  She brings so much joy and laughter to our home.  She is discovering her will and her curiosity at the same time.

Our good friend Gawley is getting marred this month and we are so excited for him.  This has been an answer to many years of prayers.

Please continue to pray for us personally, especially for our health.

And please pray for Faithful Heart to find new sponsors for our kids.

We are attending church camp with our Thai church next month and I have been asked to share about managing your finances.  Please pray for appropriate wisdom to share with our sweet friends.

Lots of love from Thailand,

Matt, Audrey, Ezra, & Sienna

Chicken Coop Crew

Farm crew!

Our land looks so beautiful!  If only we can finish the paperwork...

You May Also Like

0 comments