Happiness & Cows

by - 7:18 AM

Have you ever really wondered what you were made to do?  That question fills our minds as we travel through India.  Fundamentally, I believe in happiness.  I think God is happy. Despite all the misery, suffering, and pain in the world, I still maintain that God is happy and He desires all people to experience deep, lasting happiness.  There are many things that look like happiness, but are not.  Pride can look like happiness.  Greed can look like happiness.  Then there are those things that don't look like happiness but are.  The nun who cares for disabled children every day.  The 70 year old couple who  sacrifice retirement to care for the poor.

I have tentatively (and until further notice) come to the conclusion that true happiness is directly tied to two principles:

1.  I must never seek my happiness at the expense of others, or irregardless of the happiness of others, but only in the happiness of others.

2.   To experience lasting, real happiness I must discover who I am (and who I am not) and what I was made to do.

Those two concepts are a large part of what brought me to India.  I want to be happy and help others be happy and I want to discover my vocation.  I had a conversation with a very remarkable man here about how to figure out what to do with my life.  Out of that conversation has flowed some fresh thoughts.  I have always enjoyed innovating.  My mother can testify that I am always scheming.  I think it is fair to say I have a bit of an entrepreneurial bent as well.  I like working with my hands and I prefer to be outside.  I believe in Jesus, that He is the hope for the world.  I believe He gave His life for others and instructs his followers to do the same.  So where does that leave me?  Depends on the week you ask me.  In India, we are growing and changing so much, it is hard to keep track of my own thoughts.  Right now, I think it leads me to Social Business; starting projects and legitimate businesses to benefit individuals and society as a whole.  Audrey and I have recently discovered our mutual love for cows (strange, I know).  We were in the city of Solapur a few weeks ago and we were able to learn about and witness a social business that helps rural families get a cow to supplement their income and dairy diet.  Its a great concept and perhaps something we could support and duplicate.

I just wish I felt confident in myself or in what I am supposed to do.  Even when I think I have an idea, there is always doubt and uncertainty.  And what if I fail and make a mess of everything?
The pursuit of happiness is a risky one, but I have to believe it is worth the wager.  These are the wrestlings of my mind in Bangalore.  We are really enjoying our time here.  If you want to visit India, come to Bangalore.  So far, it's our favorite city.  If you want to meet some inspiring people, visit Divya Shanthi (just tell the auto-rickshaw driver Lingarajpuram bridge).  And if you want to support people investing in the happiness of others as well as there own, and doing incredible work for the poor consider giving to Divya Shanthi.  Audrey and I are going to give to them as well.

We are missing the fall in Colorado and Ohio (our favorite season) and many of you with it!

Please feel free to add comments to any of our blogs, we really love hearing from you.

In hope,
Matt

psst...check out these links:
Divya Shanthi
Chris & McKenzie's Blog
Andrew Horne's Blog
  

You May Also Like

0 comments