The Importance of Knowing People Better Than You

by - 4:30 AM

A Quick Personal Update:
Hong Kong, Seattle, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Akron, Ellwood City, Mansfield, Minneapolis, Chiang Mai.  For the past 5 weeks Audrey and I have been in the US visiting friends and family.  We just returned to Chiang Mai, a place we are  more and more starting to call ‘home.’  Several people asked us if we are planning to stay long term.  That is our hope and intention, but we too are people under authority.  Our aim is always to do as we are directed, as our good Father would have us.  We are excited to find what we want and what we believe God would have us do, in this case, is one and the same: to make Chiang Mai our home and to work with Faithful Heart Foundation.  Our home is welcoming another member this summer.  Audrey is 13 weeks pregnant and we are full of anticipation (and I am slightly terrified!). 

After traveling for the past month, visiting family and friends from all over the world I have come to a definite conclusion:
We know some amazing people.
As Audrey and I return to Chiang Mai and settle back into the flow of life and work here, we are humbled and happy to think about the many diverse, incredible people we are blessed to call friends.  I couldn’t possibly begin to tell you about all of them here (everyone is extraordinary), but I will share a few stories from our travels in the hope they will inspire you as they have us. 

Our Craigslist Friends:
Searching for a small kitchenette on Craigslist 2 years ago, we met a man we liked instantly.  His kindness was infectious and you could quickly observe that he took a particular delight in helping people out.  Not in the overt, condescending way, but in the quiet, dignity-instilling hand-up at a decisive moment.  It has burned him more than once, but he seems to have lost not of his delight in making new friends and using his blessings to bless others.  He is well matched in his wife who combines a keen judgment with a huge heart.  We bought the kitchenette and I asked if he needed an extra set of hands.  My new friend gave me work, training, and friendship.  It was the bargain of a lifetime for me.   This past year they have battled cancer together.  The misery of cancer has done nothing to defeat their loving hearts.  On the contrary, my admiration for them has only increased.  My friend told me:
“Matt, this cancer has done nothing bad to us.  I think we took each other for granted before, but now we see the preciousness of each other and of each day in a way we never did before.”
After taking Audrey and I to breakfast, they handed us a check for our work with orphans and said:
“We believe in investing in God’s work first; we know He will take care of us.”
It is one thing to say that when we are healthy and well.  It is another in the midst of a battle with cancer to look outside yourself and care for others.  That is something we can all aspire to, to have a heart that refuses to become selfish.
Our Hospitable Hosts:
For the first time in my life, I returned to my hometown and couldn’t stay with my parents.  My Dad and Mom were in Thailand, but we didn’t have to worry, our ‘family’ in Mansfield is very large.  Recently, I have thought often of Jesus’ words that in following Him we may leave family, but we also gain family.  People who hardly know us moved out of their bedroom, offered us their very best, made us breakfast every morning and even bought pickles and ice cream for my pregnant wife!  I am convinced God would often delight us with new friends if there was but room in our lives for them.  What at first seemed a loss---not being able to stay with my parents, was a tremendous gain---new friends we love dearly.  Audrey and I both left inspired to make our home be like theirs: a place of welcome, friendship, and good food for any who need it. 
Our Gracious Mentors:
Someday I would really like to tell their story more fully because it continues to inspire me in fresh ways.  I believe the best way to live is to spend your life in service to others.   Not only for the ones you help, but for yourself.  A selfish life eventually becomes a sad life, no matter how much you have.  It is powerful to meet people like our mentors, who have spent years working out in their own lives Jesus’ words that to lose our lives in His service, is to gain them forever.  They forgive often, laugh often (even at themselves) and love constantly.  They traded a retirement of leisure for the lives of Thai children.  I believe they will never regret that decision and I pray I will have the courage to follow their example. 

Why We Need People in our Lives Who are Better than We are
There are so many people who inspire and challenge us with their lives and love!  It is vital that we have people in our lives who are better than us.  The greatest danger to our soul, our true self, is not vice but the false perception of virtue.  We often live up to our peers---ask any parent of teenagers how important their child’s friends are!  I see two reasons why it is vital to our own growth and development:
1.  Proud People Don’t Grow
When I believe I am better than other people, I am not aware of my own faults because I am too busy noticing others’.  I am blind to the incredible parts of people which could teach me so much because I refuse to recognize that all of us have strengths and weaknesses, good and evil in us.  For example, a man whose politics I despise might be able to teach me a great deal about courage or forgiveness. 
2.  We Need Aspiration, Not Ambition
People don’t think like this much any more, but I think it is something my faith, Christianity in particular, has to offer the world.  Ambition says I want to be ‘better than’ and we count goodness as being ‘not as bad’ or ‘better than’ someone else.  It makes us miserable and lazy.  But aspiration would be good---not just good enough, but wholly and truly good.  Ambition is to do, Aspiration is to be. 
Having people in our lives who are not like us helps us grow.  There are things I do well and things I do very poorly (like losing my temper with the poor lady on the credit card helpline).  Friendship allows us to share what we do well with each other and so both become better.  The Bible calls this process iron sharpening iron.  We rub off on each other in good ways. 

We cannot say Thank You enough to all our friends and family who have hosted, fed, encouraged, and sharpened us while we were in the US!  Please continue to pray for Audrey and I (and our new little baby!) here in Thailand.  Thank you for your ongoing support and love.  We love you! 
Matt & Audrey Pound

“You must put aside your selfish ambition…If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it.  But if you give up your life for me you will find true life…Your duty is to go and preach the coming of the Kingdom of God.”              (from Luke 9 of the Bible, NLT)

You May Also Like

0 comments