Pleased, but Not Satisfied

by - 11:07 PM

Horse Riding with our girls!

Happy days and Sad Goodbyes

Two sweet ladies

Greetings from Thailand!

Have you ever found yourself rummaging through the refrigerator right after dinner?

There is something odd about feeling satisfied, and hungry at the same time.

And its not just food.

Sometimes I look at my life and feel grateful for all the good, cool things around me.
I love where I live, I love who I live with, and I love what I do.
But there is still an itch somewhere in there, for more.

My favorite author says that God is easy to please and hard to satisfy.

Maybe we are too.

And maybe that is good.  Somehow we all have to either make peace with where and what we are, or be miserable.

But there is a difference between accepting your present circumstances, and counting them permanent.

You can be pleased with who and where you are in your life right now, without wanting to stay there.

Volunteers 

Mountains

Andy and Phillip are good friends already

It is my belief that every one of us are made to contribute something good to the world as a whole.

And the way that happens, is when we discover who were each made to be, and then pursue that ideal version of ourselves that the world needs.

This has turned out to be a much slower process than I ever imagined.

Most all of my dreams are still there in my heart, but the timing has changed.

I am grateful for where we are right now.
I can say, "This is good!"  And it is.
But I can also say, "There is more I want."

And that is good too.

I am pleased, just not satisfied.

It troubles me sometimes that we often lose this ability to hold things in tension.
We are far often too easily satisfied, or impossible to please.

Grateful for Second Wind Ranch helping our kids for free

Ezra wasn't sure about the big horses...

McDonalds!

Right now, we are continue to go through change here in Thailand.

Our founders and former Directors, Dave and Shirley Callahan, moved back to the US in March.
Then my parents moved back in May.
Other close friends are also transitioning.

I am trying to find that tension again.

Can I be pleased with where we are now?
Can I also continue to seek for more?

Yes.  (At least, I hope I can)

There is a learning curve for anyone who accepts new leadership and I am no exception.

I trust the people I work with.
But there are innumerable little decisions every day that need to be made.
Some they will like, some they won't.

And it is a very different feeling when you are merely offering commentary, than when the decision and its consequences come back to you.

Planting bamboo!

Watering by hand 

We need more pictures of Audrey, but she is the one who always takes them

So many of our kids are becoming teenagers at Faithful Heart.

My conversations with our social worker and house parents have many reoccurring themes.

"She just doesn't obey like she used to."

"He has so many girlfriends, it makes me nervous."

"She never used to roll her eyes at me."

"He is always on his phone."

It may sound strange, but usually it makes me glad to hear these kinds of things.
It means are kids are normal.
I would be more worried if they didn't do these kinds of things.

But it brings challenges too.

(Somewhere I can hear my parents laughing and nodding).

Peter and Joshua fed over 60 people with a smile!

Why not put the potato salad and beans on your pulled pork sandwich?

Khun was ready to eat

Boys at Home of Light left clean plates

It isn't just my dreams which depend upon my becoming better than I am now.
And that's why its so important to be pleased, but not satisfied.

The reward for growing is that you get new and greater challenges to help you grow more.

It can be a bit overwhelming.
We love to feel competent, and talk humbly.   
But we hate the humbling process of feeling and looking like an idiot.

This is half the battle of living overseas.
You feel like a child.
And most of us resent feeling that way.

One of my favorite hobbies here is to go lift weights at the gym.
But if you don't usually go to the gym, the first time will always leave you feeling a little bit like an idiot.

"What is that machine for? How do I use it?  Are people laughing at me?"

It is the same in life, except the equipment and exercises are constantly changing.


Ez has lots of big sisters to help him out

Lunch!

Movie time

I imagine this is because the thing God wants us to master is not necessarily a particular skill or ability, but a peaceful and kind disposition which can face any challenge. 

The ability to adopt to any person or circumstance without stress, fear, or unkindness towards others.

That is where we should be.
Where we are, (if you are anything like me), is somewhere very different.

So be pleased with who and where you are.
Give thanks for your circumstances, and all the good things in your life.

Just don't be too easily satisfied.

If you like who and where you are now, what might there be ahead of you?

It has been so fun having Amy here!

She gets some time to relax too---Thai style hot springs

Love this little explorer

500 stairs, but Ezra and Dad made it!

One of the most evil things Christians have done (and they have done many) is made God seem harsh and boring.

Whoever dreamed up our world, it certainly does not strike me as the kind of thing a dull, authoritarian would have made.

God likes you.

He thought you worth making and He is never wasteful.
And He has an idea of who you might be, and it is amazing (because He makes amazing things).

 If you aren't sure how to please God, or if you are not even sure you believe in God, let me tell you a place we can all start:

The next good thing in front of you.

Might be the dishes.

Might be telling your kids you love them.

Might be calling a lonely friend.

Might be forgiving someone who doesn't deserve it.

God is easy to please.  (Really)

Just hard to satisfy.

Because nothing but the perfect happiness, wholeness, and goodness of His world will satisfy Him.

"Dad!" 
I love green


3 lovely ladies

Have you ever had someone who loved you so much they wouldn't let you quit on your dreams, even when you were ready to, because they believed in you?

Sometimes it is good to be hard to satisfy.

That's how love is.
It is pleased with you as you are, but it insists on you becoming who you were always made to be.
I want to love like that.

I want Ezra and Sienna, and all our kids at Faithful Heart to become their best selves and live their best lives.
And I want to find out who Matt Pound was made to be.
It's more fun to discover together.

We are so blessed by so many of you.  You make our lives better and you inspire us to be better.

Quick Update:

We will be traveling to Colorado June 20th and we would love to catch up.

Please pray for wisdom.  Wisdom to not get in the way, wisdom to speak or be quiet.  Wisdom to encourage our kids and give them freedom to be themselves.  Wisdom to inspire our staff, not nag them.

Please pray for teenagers and parents of teenagers.
Please pray for safe travels and good times with family and friends.
Please pray for the Thai people, that we might help their hearts to sing for joy.

We love you just the way you are.  And we love seeing who you are becoming!

-Matt, Audrey, Ezra, and Sienna (aka: "Little Squishy")

PS:  Take 6 minutes and listen to this man:









You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hey let's meet up when you are in CO! Randy and Jen G.

    ReplyDelete