Doing Less to Accomplish More

by - 3:12 AM

 



Ploy is a great big sister to Sienna

Having fun together

Even 2-yr olds need a break


Greetings from Thailand!  

This is the 3rd week I have been sick with abdominal pain and fatigue.  I am worn down physically and mentally.  Audrey and our kids have been fighting colds at the same time.  

We missed a trip to Bangkok with our friends when I was admitted to the hospital. 
(And lost all the money for hotel and travel).

Then the power steering went out in our car. 

Then the father of a young boy we know died in a sudden car accident.  

If 2020 were a book of the Bible, it has to be Job.  

One after another, we are knocked down by the events and tragedy around us.  And just when we start to get back on our feet, something new comes to break our hearts (or our bodies).  

I am frustrated too, at all that I can't do.  Maybe the worst part of being sick is the feeling of powerlessness.  


We love these families!  Can't believe how they are growing

Love!!!


But perhaps sometimes we need to do less, in order to accomplish more.  

Sometimes, we need vision more than management.  

I spend most of my time managing my life: paying bills, fixing problems, doing my daily work, etc. But this can become a distracting fog.  The hamster is too busy running on the wheel to stop, step off, and consider why he is running so hard and where he is trying to get to.  

Sometimes, even something unpleasant like illness forces us off the hamster wheel of life, and consider some bigger questions: 

Why are we living like this? 
Why are we so busy? 
Where is our life going? 
What kind of person am I becoming?  

That's where vision comes in.
There is an old verse in the Bible that says "Where there is no vision, the people perish." (Proverbs 29:18)

Part of the meaning is when we we are too busy managing our lives, to intentionally live our lives, we are dying.  

This little one has our hearts

We made some great new friends!

Glow sticks are always a hit

So for the past 3 weeks, I spend at least half my time in bed.  Reading, thinking, praying; I am asking for vision for my this season of my life.  

Partly because there is not much else I can do (except watch Netflix).  But also because I recognize this is a valuable opportunity.  

Normally I am so busy, I don't take much time to stop and really think.  

Often I am busy with many good things.  Work, my family, and my friends give me a full life, and I am wouldn't want it any other way.  

But suddenly it stops.  I can't work (at least not as well or as much).  I don't have much energy for my kids or my friends.  

But that doesn't mean nothing is being accomplished.  Some of the biggest, most significant things have happened when I was hardly doing anything at all. 

I would argue for any of us working  to make the world a better place, what is most needed, we usually can't do anyway. 

What happens in Thailand when you forget to mow the grass for a few weeks

Went to see Tenet with our college guys

Sienna, ice cream, and a motorbike = Happiness

You can fix a broken sink, but not a broken heart.  

You can repair a car, but not a relationship.  

You can choose your wardrobe, but not your family.  

In the Bible, we are told about a story of a man who was suffering from some kind of illness.  He was a busy, hard working man.  He begged God to fix his problem and let him get back to work.  But God told him no.  In effect God said:

"I do some of my best work when you are weakest."

The man took this as a great encouragement.  If I am sick , perhaps this means God is up to something big.  If so, I can wait to be made well.  

My grandpa Arlie hated to be idle.  He loved to to work and to do things.  I am the same way.  Don't get me wrong, I love rest too, but work and rest are both good gifts.  

I love having work to do.  But I also take encouragement from knowing that the work moves forward both in my strength and in my weakness.  My accomplishments contribute, and even my inability to contribute, contributes.  



There was concern about the lack of adult supervision here...I was told I did not fully count

We have launch!

Needed family time


I don't understand it all either, but I have seen it. 
Sometimes I need to get out of my own way. 
Sometimes I need to get out of the way of others.  

Sometimes, I need to step out, to let someone else step up.  

Sometimes I need to do less, so God can accomplish more.  

How about where you are?  

Maybe this is a time to do less; to step back, to rest, to heal, to remember how loved you are---not for what you do, but for who you are and whose you are.  


This not so little guy has my heart too!

Love this gang

We wouldn't get far without these incredible people!

Thank you for your love, support and prayers.  Please continue to pray for my family as we deal with illness and weariness.  We are finally all feeling better.  

Please continue to pray for Faithful Heart.  Our staff does such a great job, but they have a lot on their hands right now.  We are growing, and that is good!  But it means there is more to do too.  

Please pray for a large training we co-hosted for over 40 people this past week.  The topic is how we can help children who have experienced trauma, and keep families and their children together.  This is something we are very excited about and have looked forward to for a long time.  It was a great honor for us to be asked to participate.  

Please pray for wisdom too.  We are always trying to do our best for each of the children here, but it is not easy, or always clear what that is.  

Lots of Love from Thailand,

Matt, Audrey, Ezra, & Sienna

Great time learning together!

Not all heroes wear a cape :-) 

I was asked to open us in prayer for the final day of training.  Praying in Thai makes my head and heart work together.  

24 hours of training in Trauma Informed Cared and  Family Strengthening in the books!








You May Also Like

0 comments